Sunday, January 1, 2012

Christmas Eve in Zimbabwe

It's Christmas Eve so we decided to go on an adventure to this animal park
in Zimbabwe.  We were the only ones there so we had the truck and the guide
all to ourselves.

This is the acacia tree and apparently the giraffe love to eat the leaves.
As we were driving, the guide stopped suddenly and said, "I smell giraffe."
We doubted him, but in just a few minutes out walked these beautiful specimens.
He said he could smell the acacia tree flowers and that meant the giraffe had been
eating them.



                                  Then the guide said, "Let's go for a private walk."  He showed us
                                  a plant that the natives use for malaria.  Then he said,"Sh-h-h and
                                  look.  There is a python nest!"  Of course Grandma was delighted,
                                  Grandpa not so much.  I asked him where the mother was and he said
                                  she was probably close by.  Grandma said, "OK, time to go!."


A frolicking Wildebeest

We saw a lot of Zebra--with babies too.

I was casually taking pictures of this huge lion when I heard but
did not see him lunge at me with a deafening roar.  I screamed and
jumped 10 feet (but I did not drop the camera!)  I couldn't believe how
fast he came after me.  Thank goodness for the fence. 

Grandpa on the other hand found a friend.  His name is Geoffry
and he would not leave Grandpa's side.  Notice him giving Grandpa a
nice 'kiss' on the cheek.  I think it is rather fitting--knowing Grandma and
Grandpa's personalities--
Grandpa plays with giraffes and Grandma plays
with lions!!


We stopped at a little village to wish them Merry Christmas.  


These young girls are carrying water to their homes from a local
water source.

We had a wonderful day together in Zimbabwe.  A very different sort
of Christmas Eve that's for sure.

2 comments:

  1. Elder and Sister Roberts! Happy New Year from Highland, Utah! It is so fun to follow your blog. Lina told me about it. What an interesting mission you are having. We were released last month and I am just now feeling like my life might be getting back some control. :) While we have had so many wonderful conversion stories, I'm sure it will never compare to your experiences in Africa. We initially thought we would be going to Ghana but it didn't work out that way. I had read a lot about Africa and what we could expect and it was a little scary to me. (That wasn't why we didn't go there though.) Your living arrangements look better than what we had in Georgia! Is it safe to eat out when you are away from home? Is there any hi-jacking of missionaries that you have heard of?
    It will be so fun to hear all of your stories. I am sure you both are doing a fantastic job as Public Affairs missionaries. You are both perfect for that job!
    I love your pictures -- they are beautiful!
    Well, just wanted you to know that I am keeping up with you and that I enjoy reading everything you tell about. Keep up the good work and we will be praying for you!
    Marilyn
    P.S. That is so funny that Mike Jeffries is in your mission. What kind of missionaries did you say they were? I will have to go back and read your blog again. Tell Mike 'hi' for me if you see him again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing pictures mom!! That lion would have freaked me out and I love where Dad is kissing the giraffe. Keep the pics coming. We love to see them!

    ReplyDelete